Monday, June 6, 2011

Professional Development Day One

Its day one and my head is still spinning even hours after I left my new place of employment. Professional development today reminded me of what my professors in college said that education would be like, educators putting their heads together to make sense of a situation, and make decisions that are best for students. The honest feedback given to the administrator, the collaboration, and the total honesty from top down "I have to run this by admin but it sounds great to me" was refreshing (or the counter of… let me ask this question first… a nice way to say I don’t see things your way let’s talk about it). With only nine people in an entire “faculty” it creates such a manageable situation where all voices, opinions, and concerns can be heard and no one walks away upset with anyone else.

I'm thrilled, and exhausted all at the same time. The job will not be easy but I'm hoping it will be one of the best things I have done for myself in my professional experience. In general what I am going to be teaching is overwhelming, I will be asked to do more and be more involved than I am used to having to be, but the staff is great and works together in MANY aspects not because they are forced but because they want to work together. I seem to have found a job where everyone is truly gifted in their own areas of expertise. Andrew Carnegie once said that the key to effective leadership is having the courage to surround yourself with people smarter than yourself. This adage a hundred years later is so sound that I can’t help but take comfort in its existence in my little world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment